PESTICIDE SCIENCE (Online) ENTMLGY 5800
Online class. Offered: Autumn
Exploration of pesticide toxicology and practical use; modes of action in target organisms, regulations, application methods, environmental fate, resistance management, and use in integrated pest management programs.
- Computer: current Mac (OS X) or PC (Windows 7+) with high-speed internet connection
Digital camera or scanner, with ability to upload images online
O’Connor-Marer, Patrick J. 2000. The Safe and Effective Use of Pesticides, 2nd Edition. Univ. California, Statewide Integrated Pest Management Program, Agric. and Natural Resources, Publication 3324.
Ware, George. 2004. The Pesticide Book, 6th edition, Meister Media Worldwide.
Course Modules and Selected Topics
- Introductory concepts
- Pesticide classification and mode of action (Insecticides, herbicides, fungicides)
- Pesticide regulations and safety (regulations, labeling, registration, formulations, safety)
- Pesticide application methods (application equipment, rate calculations)
- Procedures for evaluating pesticides (bioassays, field efficacy testing, fate and effects of selected classes, degradation of residues by weathering)
- Use of pesticides within IPM programs (pesticide selectivity for beneficial organisms, pollinators, transgenic crops, factors that mitigate toxicity, resistance, crop profiles, organic agriculture, the EIQ concept, trends in pesticide use)